08 Mar We’re Hiring!
About the Position:
Arundel Rivers Federation in Annapolis, MD seeks an energetic and visionary leader who is passionate about the mission of the organization. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for Arundel Rivers Federation’s 9 staff and programs, and management of a $3.5 million annual budget. The ED will be responsible to continue to build on successful partnerships with donors, stakeholders, partners, and funders.
Leadership & Management:
- Be the “public face” of the Federation and represent the organization in meetings, public forums, conferences, and other public events and establish and maintain relationships with elected officials, business leaders, non-profit organizations, community leaders, donors, and funders to further the purposes of the Federation.
- Facilitate a strong working relationship with the Board of Directors and its committees. Serve as support staff to Board committees. Provide advice, counsel, and support to staff and the Board of Directors.
- Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence, program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals. The organization’s goals and strategies outlined in the strategic plan can be accessed here: http://www.arundelrivers.org/about-us/mission/
- Lead, coach, develop, and retain Arundel River’s high-quality staff. As the Human Resources coordinator for the Federation, the ED will facilitate staff hiring, professional development, supervision, and implementation of annual performance reviews.
- Oversee implementation of the organization’s programs and activities including: large scale stream and wetland restoration, scientific analysis and research, advocacy for river-friendly policies and legislation at state and local levels, and engagement of volunteers with programs.
- Practice strong financial management across all programs, including: financial analysis linked to strategic objectives, prudent management of cash, budgeting and understanding project returns. Become a trusted advisor to the staff and the Board on financial matters, as well as risks to the plan.
Fundraising, Advocacy, & Communications:
- In conjunction with the Development Director, coordinate the board and staff to conduct development activity aimed at ensuring the financial viability of the organization. These opportunities include individual donor cultivation, grant writing and implementation, corporate sponsorships, and special event planning.
Must bring solid team building and communication skills. Communication must occur internally and externally.
- Generate creative ideas for, and lead efforts to position the Federation in the community to attract new donors and volunteers.
- Cultivate financial and other community support to sustain the Federation as a thriving grass-roots community-based nonprofit organization.
- Deepen and refine all aspects of external communications—from web presence to relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand. Increase the visibility of the organization by utilizing the solid programs to tell the story of Arundel Rivers.
- Act as the spokesperson for the Arundel Rivers Federation. Coordinate the organization’s visibility and public policy positions with the Board of Directors and work closely with partners to shape strategic responses and recommendations on public policy issues.
Planning & New Business:
- Continue to build a pipeline of work that will sustain future growth and expansion of the Arundel Rivers Federation. This work will involve cultivating relationships with existing and new funders, and other for- and non-profit organizations.
- Be an external local presence that publishes and communicates program results with an emphasis on the successes of the local program as a model for regional and national replication.
- Provide leadership for advocating publicly for the health and vitality of the South, West, and Rhode Rivers as well as Herring Bay to a wide range of constituents including: local media, local residents, elected officials, the business community, researchers, educators and students, watermen, recreational boaters and other resource users, and other stakeholders in the region.
- Act as the spokesperson for the Arundel Rivers Federation. Coordinate the organization’s visibility and public policy positions with the Board of Directors and the Federation’s two Riverkeepers, and work closely with partners to shape strategic responses and recommendations on public policy issues.
The ED will be thoroughly committed to the Arundel Rivers Federation’s mission. All candidates should have proven leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience.
Specific requirements include:
- Advanced degree with at least 5 years of management experience; track record of effectively leading and regionally and/or nationally scaling a performance-and outcomes-based organization and staff; ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth.
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation.
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget. Must be able to balance operational needs with organizational growth.
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships.
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Demonstrated experience in working with other organizations, relevant agencies, and elected officials in representing the policies and positions of a non-profit organization.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative. Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed. Must be a relationship-builder.
Salary and Benefits:
- Salary range is $90,000 – $110,000, depending on experience
- Employer contribution to health, dental, and vision benefits
- SIMPLE IRA with 3% employer match
- Paid holiday, sick, and annual leave
Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with your name and “Executive Director Position” in the subject title. Please no phone calls.
Applications will be accepted until April 12, 2019.